- Toxic Laundry Products/ Safer Alternatives
- Non-Toxic Do It Yourself (DIY) Recipes:
- Powder Laundry Detergent
- Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Dryer Sheet Alternative
- Laundry Stain remover
- Sweat Stain Remover
- Blood Stain Removal
- Ink Removal
- Grease Stain Removal
- Smelly Towels
Toxic Laundry Products/ Safer Alternatives
Find out if your current Laundry Products are toxic and look for safer alternatives –> HERE
Non-Toxic Do It Yourself (DIY) Recipes
Powder Laundry Detergent
- 3 cups washing soda
- 4 cups baking soda
- 2 cups castile soap (flakes)
- 15 drops essential oil
- Mix it all together, store in a glass jar
- Add 2 tablespoons of the powder detergent to each load of laundry.
- Enough for 70 loads
- I use eucalyptus, citrus, or lavender essential oil.
Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 2 cups castile soap flakes
- 2 cups baking soda
- 2 cups washing soda
- 30 drops tea tree essential oil
- Directions: Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, add in the castile soap flakes. Stir, and continue heating the mixture until the soap is completely melted. Allow the soap mixture to cool a little bit, then pour it into a large bucket. Add in the baking soda, washing soda, and essential oils. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients. Then, add in 2 gallons of water and continue to stir. Store the liquid laundry soap in an airtight container with the lid on. 1/ 4 cup of soap is needed for each load of laundry, makes enough for 150 loads.
Dryer Sheet Alternative
- Add 10-15 drops essential oil to a dry washcloth
- throw it in with the wet laundry
Laundry Stain Remover
- Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to the stain
- let sit 30-45 min before washing
Sweat Stain Remover
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/ 4 cup vinegar
- 5 drops lemon essential oil, mix together
- Apply to stain with a toothbrush and let sit for 30 min before washing.
Blood Stain Remover
- Add hydrogen peroxide to the area and scrub with a toothbrush, may take a few tries
- launder in cold water
- Hairspray works best- spray the stain and launder as usual
- You can also try Eucalyptus essential oil on the stain, scrub with a toothbrush.
Grease Stain Removal
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/ 2 cup vinegar
- 1/ 4 cup water
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- Combine the baking soda, salt and cornmeal, and allow the mixture to sit on top of the grease stain . The dry ingredients will soak up the grease.
- Gently wipe the area with a rag. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, water and essential oil. Soak the stained area in the vinegar mixture, then launder as usual.
- Run the towels through a wash cycle with HOT water add 1 cup of white vinegar, DO NOT use detergent.
- When washing cycle is done, keep the towels in the machine and add 1/ 2 cup baking soda and hot water, DO NOT use detergent.
- add 10 – 15 drops of lemon, eucalyptus, or lavender oil for freshness (during second cycle)